Your choices at 16
Why carry on learning post 16?
Well, with more qualifications you will have more choice about what job you want to do, so you’re more likely to find a job you enjoy rather than get stuck in a rut doing unskilled work. Also, research shows that better qualifications can give you a chance to earn more money - and make you happier!
The law has now changed..
Everyone has to be in some form of recognised education and training until at least their 18th birthday, (most young people already stay on until this age).
No-one will be forced to stay at school – there are a range of choices:
- Full-time education, such as school or college;
- Job with learning (Apprenticeship);
- Part-time education or training for one day a week, if you are employed; self-employed or volunteering for 20 hours or more a week.
Gaining good qualifications will help you to:
- Move on to your next stage of learning
- Broaden your career choices
- Get a better-paid and more interesting job in the long term
- Be more in control of your life
- Become interested in learning new things throughout your life