Places to study
University Technical Colleges for 14-18 year olds
University Technical Colleges:
University technical colleges (UTCs) are government-funded schools that offer 14–18 year olds both academic and technical education, related to specific job sectors.
They are looking to educate the inventors, engineers, scientists and technicians of tomorrow.
Attending a UTC offers:
- access to world-class facilities and equipment used by industry
- practical work and project-based learning connected to the working world
- an opportunity to work with businesses on real-life projects
- access to placements and work experience
- a chance to learn from experts from universities
- advice on future career options.
UTCs specialise in subjects
- Health Sciences
- Product Design
- Digital Technologies
- Built Environment
The UTC day
To give you the time to undertake academic and technical studies the school day is longer at a UTC, typically from 8.30am to 5.00pm. This includes time for homework leaving your evenings clear for other activities.
Get a student view of studying at a UTC.
If you are interested:
You can join a UTC in Year 10 or Year 12. Lots of UTCs hold regular open days and events and provide useful resources to give you further help and advice.