> My bookmarks

Money matters

Sign in or register to add to ‘Bookmarks’ in ‘My Career Tools’

Money for higher education if you have a disability



If you are interested in studying a higher education course, either full-time or part-time, but you’re worried because you have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, hearing or visual impairment, mental health condition or a disability, you could be eligible for:

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)





What is the Disabled Students’ Allowance?

DSAs stands for Disabled Students’ Allowances. These allowances are available for UK students applying for full-time and substantial part-time courses in higher education. The DSAs help pay for extra costs in attending a course as a direct result of a disability.

DSAs is not dependent on your family’s income and does not have to be repaid.

Watch this video about Disbaled Student Allowance

What can DSAs be used for?

Depending on your assessment, the DSAs may:

  • help with the cost of a non-medical helper, such as a note taker;
  • pay for specialist equipment like a laptop or dictaphone;
  • pay for specialist software and technical support;
  • pay for items such as audio CDs, tapes or Braille paper;
  • pay for any extra travel costs arising from a disability.

If you are not eligible for DSAs, your college or university will still be able to provide support and guidance if you need help with your studies.