> My bookmarks

Help and support

Sign in or register to add to ‘Bookmarks’ in ‘My Career Tools’

Support for study if you have a disability



Further Education

Further education at college or sixth form can be a great way to pick up new skills, open up new career options or prepare for higher education. Being disabled or having a specific learning difficulty needn't limit your choices. Find out more about the available support through Gov. uk.

You can also get free careers advice through the Careers Helpline for Young People.

Higher Education

If you’re entering higher education, your university or college can offer you support through the Disabled Students Allowance.

What sort of support can you expect?

Universities and higher education colleges have an obligation to make provision for disabled students.

Each university or college should publish a Disability Statement explaining how it provides support. You can ask to see a copy of this statement, or look on their website.

Support provided by colleges and universities could include:

  • accommodation adapted for the needs of disabled students
  • professional care staff
  • assistance from volunteers

Every university or college has a Disability Adviser or disability coordinator to help you get the most out of your time in higher education. They can tell you about the support available - for example equipment to help you study. When applying to a university, you don't have to tell them about your disability - but you'd need to do so to get any additional support or funding.

You may find it useful to contact your university or college's Disability Adviser or Learning Support Coordinator before you make a final decision about where to study. It's also a good idea to go and check the institution out for yourself.

Watch this video of Simons' Story explaining how the University of Bath has supported him.

Financial support for higher education

If you are interested in studying a higher education course, either full-time or part-time and have a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, hearing or visual impairment, mental health condition or a disability, you could be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

There's useful information available to support disabled students through the Disability Alliance.

How to apply for HE shown in BSL