A job or career
What do I need to think about?
Deciding on a particular job or career can be a hard choice; there can seem to be a never ending range of choices and opportunities to think about.
If you do have a fixed idea of what you want to do, that's great, but it is still worth gathering as much information as possible about your chosen job or career choice. Find out what you can do to explore your choice further here.
If you are not completely sure what job or career you want to do - this can make it difficult to choose qualifications or training. If you are undecided find out how to explore a range of jobs and careers here.
You can explore these sites to find out information about jobs and what they involve:
- Job Sectors in 'Level Up!'
- National Careers Service site Job Profiles
- Career Worlds on the Plotr site.
Whether you are clear about what you want to do or are just exploring options, it is worth thinking about what is important/not so important to you in a job.
You can ask yourself questions such as:
- What sort of work environment would suit me? Indoors or outdoors? In an office or more active?
- Would I rather work with other people or on my own?
- Do I want to work for myself or someone else?
- What sort of money do I want to earn?
- How do I learn best?
- Complete the 'Level Up!' Profile which will help you record experiences, skills and qualities and achievements you already have.
- Think about the skills you have developed through the things you have done; work experience, part time jobs, being part of a team, projects at school.
- Think about the things you enjoy; subjects at school, hobbies, sport, other activities you might be involved in
You can then use this information to:
- Map your skills to a job/career you are interested in.
- Identify the skills you need to develop for your chosen career.
- Recognise the skills you have when you apply for a job, course, apprenticeship or other training and promote these skills when you apply.
Your school might provide careers software which you can use to help you find jobs/careers to suit your skills and interests.
If you are interested in starting your own business then find out more here.