Lesson Plans - Key Stage 3
Lesson 1 KS3: Understanding decision-making, researching job sectors.
Mapped to CEG Framework: 6. Help young people to progress. 6.2, 6.8
- 20 mins: Optional - pre IT session activity - students complete the /404decision making quiz
- 40 - 60 mins IT session using the Level UP! website or as a set homework
- 20 mins: Optional - post IT session activity -Interview an adult or older sibling about their career decisions and what were the key points that helped them get to where they are now? What support would have been useful to them in helping them make decisions?
Instructions for students:
Log on to Level-UP! www.level-up.org.uk
Click on ‘Search Job Sectors’ and then choose a sector you are interested in, or want to know more about.
Find out the following:
- Two things of interest from the 'What's it all about' section,
- Two 'Key Facts',
- Three 'Types of jobs in this sector'.
- What do you like about this job sector?,
- What do you not like?,
- What skills do you have that would be useful in this sector?
Click ‘Case Studies’ from the job sector menu and open one on the left (If there is no written case study and you can't view a video case study, go to another job sector and find a written case study).
Read the case study and identify the person’s ‘decision points’ in the story - write them down. in order.
Explore a second job sector following the process above.
Explore the 'Get Info' tab on top bar and find out what is an Apprenticeship and what is a vocational qualification.
Posted Aug 2015